Health Success

1-Diet

2-Strength

3-Flexibility

4-Cardiovascular

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Stress Fracture and Pollyanna

A week and a half ago after a 6 mile run, I gave myself a stress fracture. I had pushed to fast to hard and increased my mileage to fast, without enough rest time for my body to heal and adjust. I haven't been injured since high school when I pulled my groin muscle in basketball (which still gives me problems if not stretched properly). It gave me a new perspective on injury and if anything helped me be more understanding to others and their injuries past or present.

I am healing up nicely and should be able to get back to running in about another week. Luckily I hadn't done to much damage. So here is the rule 10% rule. When ready to increase your training, increase for 10% for a week or two before increasing again. Lesson learned!

While wallowing in my injury, I was with my kids watching the classic Disney movie Pollyanna. It was then that I realized that I needed to start playing the 'Glad Game' within my own life. Taking life's negatives and turning them into positives, like my injury for example. In the theme of Thanksgiving and the return of my husband, very very soon!, I am going to challenge myself to be GLAD for a whole year.

The Glad Game(an optimistic attitude)

1) I will not talk negatively about anyone else
2) I will take negative experiences and find the glad in them
3) I will be sincere and honest
4) I will not be passive aggressive. I will be assertive
5) I will find something to be glad about in every situation

Join me on my Quest to be GLAD!!

No comments: