Health Success

1-Diet

2-Strength

3-Flexibility

4-Cardiovascular

Friday, March 11, 2011

I'm a Runner

This is my new motto and in fact this motto helped me get my butt ready for the gym and go. I didn't want to go and then I told myself, 'you are a runner, you need to get your mileage in' and it WORKED! Love it. Becoming a runner is a major goal of mine right now. It is something that I have embraced because as I get older and whatever life throws at me I will be able to go running, no gym required. I'm not very fast right now and I can't run a full mile yet, but a retired marine gave me some great pointers this morning. He was running beside me and caught up to me while I was picking up the kid.

He noticed that I use my arms alot and asked if I use to play sports, which I did. He said that I needed to relax my upper body and let my arms hang and focus on using my legs to propel myself forward. Apparently I will be able to run faster and longer once I get this down. THANK YOU! I completly understood what he was saying, now to just retrain my body to run like that.

In April I am doing a 4 mile mud run. I have always wanted to do a mud run, I think it looks fun. I know it will be hard, but it is going to be my yearly ritual to see how far I have come from the past year. My goal this year is to finish!~ Next year I can worry about my time and maybe placing.

30 is AWESOME if I do say so myself. Things are getting better and my depression is still here but it is in the shadows a little more each day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Woohoo! A tip my running coach gave me was to hold your hands as if you were carrying potato chips on your run (and you don't want to crush them.)